Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Am Ozzy Book Review

 I Am Ozzy Book Review

About the Book: "They've said some crazy things about me over the years. I mean, okay: 'He bit the head off a bat.' Yes. 'He bit the head off a dove.' Yes. But then you hear things like, 'Ozzy went to the show last night, but he wouldn't perform until he'd killed fifteen puppies . . .' Now me, kill fifteen puppies? I love puppies. I've got eighteen of the f**king things at home. I've killed a few cows in my time, mind you. And the chickens. I shot the chickens in my house that night.

It haunts me, all this crazy stuff. Every day of my life has been an event. I took lethal combinations of booze and drugs for thirty f**king years. I survived a direct hit by a plane, suicidal overdoses, STDs. I've been accused of attempted murder. Then I almost died while riding over a bump on a quad bike at f**king two miles per hour.

People ask me how come I'm still alive, and I don't know what to say. When I was growing up, if you'd have put me up against a wall with the other kids from my street and asked me which one of us was gonna make it to the age of sixty, which one of us would end up with five kids and four grandkids and houses in Buckinghamshire and Beverly Hills, I wouldn't have put money on me, no f**king way. But here I am: ready to tell my story, in my own words, for the first time.

A lot of it ain't gonna be pretty. I've done some bad things in my time. I've always been drawn to the dark side, me. But I ain't the devil. I'm just John Osbourne: a working-class kid from Aston, who quit his job in the factory and went looking for a good time."


Our Take: Alright, listen.  I don't like Ozzy's music.  I don't.  I won't lie to you.  Its not that I'm not into rock or metal..I am.  Its blasphemous to speak out against the Ozz-Man...but I always have.  What turned the tide for me was the reality show 'The Osbournes'.  I tuned into this show week after week to watch the odd, but loving family that Ozzy and Sharon had raised.   The show made me absolutely fall in love with Ozzy and his family...it even made his music sound better.  Go figure.

When I saw that Ozzy was writing a book I was confused.  Ozzy can barely speak through his thick accent, how is he ever going to communicate?!  He managed, thankfully, and the result is a book thats full of great and cheeky memories from his lifetime.  I wasn't convinced until I heard Ozzy on the Howard Stern Show and he pulled off a great and honest interview with the rocker.  I just found myself yearning to learn more.

He takes us all through his childhood as a poor boy on the streets of the industrial town of Aston in England.  He recounts amusing stories of embaressment, bullying, childhood delinquincy and even abuse from teachers at school.  You learn very quickly what made Ozzy who he is today...a short attention span, an intense fear of growing old and dying in Aston doing factory work and the escape that he felt he needed from his impending life.  He took that escape so far, in fact, that he actually managed to escape it!

Ozzy takes us through a hilarious and sometimes disturbing journey into the presesent day. Through Black Sabbath..his solo years and even the Osburne's tv show.   This is a must for any Ozzy fan.  Even if you're a non-fan like me..this is still a very interesting and fun read! 

Where to Buy: Amazon.com or the Hachette Book Group Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

BookLegion.com Copyright © 2009-2013 The Legion Fan Network. DVD Legion is your home for DVD Reviews, Blu-Ray Reviews, DVD News and Blu-Ray News.
Visit the other sites in our network Legions of Gotham, Toy Legion, Ghostbusters Collector and Toy Story/Pixar Collector