Friday, February 26, 2010

The Lovely Bones Book Review

The Lovely Bones Book Review

About the Book: Once in a generation a novel comes along that taps a vein of universal human experience, resonating with readers of all ages. THE LOVELY BONES is such a book -- a #1 bestseller celebrated at once for its artistry, for its luminous clarity of emotion, and for its astonishing power to lay claim to the hearts of millions of readers around the world.


"My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973."

So begins the story of Susie Salmon, who is adjusting to her new home in heaven, a place that is not at all what she expected, even as she is watching life on earth continue without her -- her friends trading rumors about her disappearance, her killer trying to cover his tracks, her grief-stricken family unraveling. Out of unspeakable tragedy and loss, THE LOVELY BONES succeeds, miraculously, in building a tale filled with hope, humor, suspense, even joy.

The major motion picture version of THE LOVELY BONES, directed by Peter Jackson and starring Rachel Weisz, Susan Sarandon, Mark Wahlberg, Stanley Tucci, and Saoirse Ronan is scheduled for release on December 11, 2009.

Our Take: I know that this is a book that I should've read many years ago.  My wife read it long ago and we discussed it, but I had forgotten about the Lovely Bones, until I heard about the recent movie being made.   I don't know why I avoided it, I guess the subject matter was a bit heavy.   Reading about the death of a child, especially in a brutal fashion, isn't my idea of fun.  That being said, I do think that this book serves a greater purpose, especially to those that have experienced loss.

This book is about connections more than anything.  The victim, a young teen girl named Susie Salmon, is murdered by her neighbor Mr. Harvey in the beginning of the book.  From that point on she becomes a fly on the wall, watching her loved ones deal with her death in the coming years.  She has to watch her family struggle and fall apart emotionally, all the while she is longing for things she missed out on in life.  I have never in my life read such an emotionally poignant piece of fiction.  This story takes you through a rollercoaster of emotion.  Its a wonderful story of grief and acceptance, and it can really give you a good healthy perspective on appreciating the ones that you love in your life.  All too often we take our lives for granted.

I have to highly, HIGHLY recommend this book.  Read it before you see the film if you can.  If you've already seen the film, read the book.  Its even better.

Where to Buy: Amazon.com or The Hachette Book Group Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

BookLegion.com Copyright © 2009-2013 The Legion Fan Network. DVD Legion is your home for DVD Reviews, Blu-Ray Reviews, DVD News and Blu-Ray News.
Visit the other sites in our network Legions of Gotham, Toy Legion, Ghostbusters Collector and Toy Story/Pixar Collector